First of all I want to say thanks to CGArena for their confidence and support and they make possible so I can share with you this personal work.
During the last year i learned how to take full advantage of the tools provided by 3ds max, VRay and Photoshop, emphasizing in enhancing my knowledge in different areas: modeling, lighting and post-production. With these premises I have completed a group of personal works raised as tests, in order to give me the necessary skills to accomplish almost every complex work.
For this particularly job, I show you today, that was my goals:
- Model a high level of difficult vehicle
- take full advantage of render layers for later use in post-production.
Before starting this project I collected all the information I could. At the beginning I have only a few basic blueprints so I was lucky to find a website where there were tons of photographs showing all the details of the original Batmobile.
The true complexity when constructing the Batmobile was interpretation. I mean that in terms of modeling anyone with a good level can build it without problems. The real obstacle was that blueprints did not have all the information needed so I had to consult all time with the photographs and analyze each photograph in depth, its morphology, its relationship to adjacent parts and their more or less accurate location. That’s was the great difficulty.
The Batmobile is a pretty sharp car in every one of its sides so I became aware that subdivisions modeling techniques won’t be useful this time. Another feature batmobile has is that many pieces of the vehicle have a percentage of inclination, so adding objects in these areas was done making use of "Autogrid" option. This option lets you create an object or spline perfectly aligned with the inclined surface chosen. The car is fully modeled based on simple splines and primitives converted to edit polys. The main tools I used were "chamfer", "bridge", and "connect" for the edges. "Extrude", "cap" and "create shapes from selection" for the borders sub-object. "Inset", "extrude", "cut" and "make planar" were used for polygons. All these tools allow me to add the detail needed to complete the different parts of the vehicle.
As you can see in the picture I just created one half of the vehicle, to create the other side I used "mirror" tool.
The wheels and tires were made following one of the many tutorials you can watch on youtube.
Finally I cannot leave this section without comment briefly on the process of creating the image of the cave. The cave is modeled without using any plugin. I created a cylinder that was converted to edit poly. The geometry of the cylinder was modified in the places that looks interested to me. That was enough to give the first appearance. Lately two "Turbosmooth" modifiers and two “Displacement" modifiers were applied to the cylinder in order to add the detail needed. The displacement maps chosen were two procedural maps, a "Cellular" and "Smoke."