To start the details I first used the Slash3 brush to make the lines between the pieces of the armor.
I used lots of alphas to make all the little things like the screws, lids, vents, etc and for those bigger shapes I made a masked section and extruded the zone using “inflate” in the deformation panel. Lastly I used the Mallet Fast and Slash brushes for all the damage, scratch and knocks.
At this point all the modeling it’s done.
Textures and projection
I unwrapped the model in UVlayout.
I baked a displacement map in ZBrush and applied it into the body mesh. For the hard surface I used normal map. The following image shows a render of the body with the Vray displacement mode and a simple clay material.
To start the diffuse map I painted a base color map with polypaint in ZBrush and finished it painting in Photoshop. All the textures of the armor were made in Photoshop
The body skin and the armor have very different specular; the metal is very shiny and the skin is a little bit wet and has translucency, so I made a SSS map that I then used in Vray.