This is not a tutorial for teaching how to work with any armature system or with any 3D software. I will try to teach the main poses and how to animate the walk cycles; I will use 3ds max 9 and character studio as armature system but you can use any 3D software, just need a human body rigging and animate them as I am showing in each different walk, I have to say I´m not an expert in animating, I am studying how to do that and these are some techniques I have learnt, Hope you like it.
1, Double Bounce Walk
This walk cycle try to show the happiness and some kind of rhythm, the character goes up and down while he walks. I try to teach this cycle in five steps.
- We start with this pose of the character and we put it down, see we have a straight spine and the arm is well risen.
- Next on frame 7 we raise the character up with the leg ahead well straight and rested on the floor as the second image shows.
- After that we are going to make a passing position on frame 13, we have to get down the character again so we can make a double bounce.
- Now we need to rise up the character so we straight her leg, bend a little her spine and rise up the character on frame 19.
- The only thing we left to do is getting back the model on the first pose but this time on the frame 25 and on the opposite limbs.
2. Angry Walk
This is a walk of an angry man with a little rush walk, it seem like a goofy cartoon. I´m going to teach this walk cycle in next five steps.
- First you need to straight and tilt the spine ahead, and put legs as the first image shows, this is the pose of the first frame.
- Now we need an in-between position on frame 5, check out the second image you need to bend the spine.
- Next step is making a passing position on frame 10 as the third image shows.
- Now let’s make another in-between on frame 15 and rotate the leg as the fourth image shows.
- Now we just need to make a key on frame 20 just like the frame 1 but with the opposite limbs ahead.
3. Proud Man Walk
This is the walk cycle of a proud man trying to express his superiority, this cycle I made it in 4 steps.
- Bend back the spine and straight the leg, and raise the little chin.
- Now make a passing position on frame 13 as the second image shows.
- In this step we straighten the leg, and raise the little opposite shoulder.
- Now we can make the pose similar to the first pose, we just need to invert the limbs.