As I stated earlier, I don’t generally like to repeat the more tedious tasks such as creating uv sets or maps, here we see the forefingers uv set complete and then with the finger extracted from the hand its duplicated across the rest of the palm and then attached. The main arm is then uv’ed. For the whole process of creating uvs for a character I mainly use Planar or cylindrical projection techniques. The same goes for the head, hair and other body parts.
Eyes and Peripherals
The eyes were done with basic spheres that were duplicated and edited, the inner eye had the iris ‘inverted dish’ shape added whereas the outer eye had a more bulbous iris area. The shading for the outer eye would be transparent using a phongE shader to allow for a better highlight. I added the meat cleaver as a more tongue in cheek nod at the character because of his well known foul temper, this made him more threatening and psychotic!
Textures were kept mostly light, some were detailed more than others, almost like Pixar’s way of doing things. The skin had a light coating of various colours around the eyes, lips and cheeks along with a little ‘5’oclock shadow’ type of stubble added for good measure. The hands and arms were very basic with a reddish colour added to the nails and the knuckles of the fingers. The jacket was given an off white material which in turn was stained with some blood splashes and the odd scorch mark from killing and cooking the food. The trousers were a different kettle of fish altogether as they actually started out as Maya's chequered texture file which I decided to bake out into its own file so I could add more grunge effects to the map.
With the characters parts all done it was time to put it altogether and pose it up for the render. I didn’t rig this in anyway but instead opted to use Maya Cluster Deformers to pose it. Once posed into position I found a suitable camera angle and then added 3 spotlights. The blinn shaders for the skin were replaced and given MISSS_fast Skin shaders and tweaked. It was then rendered using Mental Ray. The fire was rendered separately from the figure though I used the legs as a mask with the shader set to ‘black hole’for the alpha so the flames could be comped in without the added fuss of layer masking in Photoshop.
The rest of the image was comped together with colour passes and coloured ambient occlusion passes to add to the shadow colour. The stone wall behind him was an image from my texture library which I added, distorted and recoloured in Photoshop. The final image.
I’d just like to say a big thank you to CGArena for allowing me to create this ‘Making Of’. I hope in this text there is something of use to you. If you would like to view more of my work you can visit www.outlaws3d.com or www.outlaws-tales.com . You can read the interview with Jason Edwards.