First thing I did after rendering was adjusting the bloom effect at the very bright areas. I copied the base layer and smoothed out the respective areas.
Then I created a layer set with the new layer 3 times each with different blend modes. The image was nicely lit and now has bloomy coronas at the bright spots. Another thing I did was coloring the certain areas.
I used a bluish version of the base layer to gain a cold atmosphere at some areas, and a orange version to gain a warm effect somewhere else.
The only thing I missed at this point was something like a dark corona around the crown. So I took the base layer again and blurred it. The un-blurred layer was laid twice above it, with multiply at 50% and overlay at 20%.
Now I got a darker and blurrier version of it all. I just needed to mask the middle part out and got the effect I wanted.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. If you have any questions or ideas feel free to write me!
About me: I am 25 years old, 3D Artist from Germany. I was born and raised in a rural area in Mecklenburg-West Pommerania (North-East Germany). I passed my Abitur in 2005 (highest graduation in Germany). From 2006 till 2008 I studied “Game Art & Animation” at the “Games Academy” in Berlin which I successfully passed. Since 2008 I’m working freelance as a 3D Arist for different purposes: 3D Games, product and architectural visualizations etc. Visit my Portfolio: http://hkleist.cgarena.com