Once I saw the actual photos of the real life Super Mamika I knew I had to make a 3d version; the randomness and quirkiness as well as the expressive face fascinated me.
These shots helped me on the modelling stage a great deal, and served as the basis for the expression.
Rather than making a perfect 3d model I focused more on the expression of the face and the posture. I used some references from the web for skin and wrinkles, as the actual Super mamika shots were really low res.
The modelling was done entirely in ZBrush, not worrying about anything else, as I knew I was going retopologize and make UV-s later on. The final purpose of the model was to create a low poly version for games, to showcase my knowledge in that area.
If you want you can see a short clip I made using Xoliul Shader in 3DS max with the final 5k poly model.
The clothing was done using masks on the model and extraction. The cape was done using just a simple plane.